Not exactly in those words, but thats what main chemo doc suggested. The scan at this point would tell us either cancer (surprise) or infection. The chemo doc knew that sending her back for the scan would be personally costly (extreme pain for Kathleen and potential drug overdoes again) compared to the benefits. If the scan showed new cancer mets, the treatment would be chemo. So, lets just get on with the chemo. So back to Avastin and FOLFIRI. The best outcome at this point is to freeze the cancer where it is. Shrink the tumors a bit and prevent further progression. We are all hoping that any metastatic spread in her spine (and elsewhere) will be held off and shrunk. But of course the cancer has progressed quite a bit, and we are in possibilities, not probabilities.
Last night was a little better pain wise– more in the managed sense. I will say ‘less worse’ ? They had to hold back on some of the pain meds after she came dangerously close to slipping in a coma. Today she is a little more alert. The Pain and Symptom doc will be by later this afternoon so we can re-group and plan / adjust some more.
As I write this, she is half way through her chemo. Still not like the ‘old days’ of chemo as she drifts away a lot.
Hmmm, just when it seemed all would go smooth, she had an allergic reaction. Been there. Done that. She is ok now. Short break before the 5FU starts…. 46hrs of slow drip poison/5FU killing the cancer cells.